The History of Post in Iran
Iran is one of the world pioneers in rendering postal services which dates back to thousands years ago. The modern post was launched more than one-hundred and fifty years ago by Amir Kabir. The deep experience and knowledge of postal services led to Iran Post to be corporate in 1988. The objective lied in provision of facilities to render postal services to the public, to expand the scope of postal services, to plan, launch, equip and expand post offices based on recent technology based advancements.
Recently Iran Post entered into a new phase of transformation i.e. privatization; the regulatory and operatory body will be separated, and the operatory body will be initially offered in the stock market. The investment is left open to all whether international inventors or domestic ones.
Presently Iran Post has an obligation to provide postal services to a population as much as seventy millions, and this mandate will be kept after privatization. We have an extended network of post offices and staff; the details will be explained at the relevant section.
The Post Company of I. R. Iran has the following responsibilities:
· To study the needs of the community and render services accordingly,
· To prepare master plans for rendering postal services (including collection, transportation, exchange, delivery, parcel services, utilities bill distribution etc.)
· To establish, equip and expand post offices,
· To design and issue postage stamps and equities for definitive and commemorative use and in line with the high objectives of the Islamic Revolution,
· To issue license for using franking machines and monitor all relevant affairs,
· To offer personal boxes and poste restante services at postal centers,
· To distribute newspapers, periodicals and other types of postal services,
· To keep contact and relation with universal and regional unions in compiling instructions, recommendations as far as international affairs are concerned,
To participate in universal and regional gatherings in order to exchange knowledge on postal affairs and benefit from international assistances to optimize postal network.